I like chocolate milk very much

We'll eat you up we love you so!

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Send this to 10 people or your cat will die.

Speaking of 9/11 and enragement (ok, I know we weren't speaking of either of those things, and for that matter I'm not even sure enragement is a word--even so), last night I got a text message forward.

Ok, first of all let's just pause a moment and let that sink in. A text message forward. Last time I checked, my phone was not a conduit for junk mail. Most people have to pay for their text messages, or are limited in the amount of free ones that they have. So annoying!

Second point of enragement, the message was this:

"In honor of all those who lost their lives on this day, send this message to 10 people and something good will happen to you. "

Wait. Where's the part where we're honoring "those who lost their lives?" Hmm...I must have missed that 'message'. Oh! I get it, it has nothing to do with 9/11. AT ALL. It's just a cheap excuse to justify another stupid chain letter. At least email forwards make an attempt to give you some sort of 'inspiration,' whether it's a cheesy 'true' story, or rhyming poem there's at least some body to the message.

There's no real message or honor involved, so the only reason to forward it is so that you will get something out of it. It's superstitious crap. Nothing good will happen because of this message, and it IN NO WAY honors anyone! Yes, something good will happen to you sometime after you forward the message, but does a day go by when something good doesn't happen if you're looking for it?

I'm disgusted.

I don't really mean to rag on people who've forwarded this message. I'm sure they didn't really think about it, just passed it on and then felt like they did something to remember September 11. But that's the problem.

Is this the best we can do? Wouldn't it be better to not remember at all than to remember in such a cheap, self-serving way? Why do we fill our lives up with cheap, kitschy, substitutes for emotion? Are we that afraid of actually feeling anything real? I don't have time for forwards, I'm busy with real life.

Disgustedly and rantingly yours,
the chocolate milk girl

7 Comments:

  • At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Chocolate Milk Girl,
    It is with my deepest regret that I bestow upon you ill cyberfortune. Due to the contemptuous blog that has scorned my profession and dignity, your digi-luck will be revoked until a full apology has been given.
    Sincerly, and censuringly yours,
    - Your E-Fairy

    P.S. send this to ten friends and you get a puppy.

     
  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger the chocolate milk girl said…

    I don't want a puppy...much the same way I feel about babies.

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Babies... everywhere?

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger bmo said…

    I miss The Chocolate Milk Girl...where has she been.

    Also stop hating babies.

    Oh and on a side note, Dara got married the other week so I saw Liz for the first time in like a year or something. She's in 3rd grade! yeah, you read that right...3rd grade! That means she is learning how to write funny and doing multiplication tables and having crushes on boys....BOYS!!! Thats so not cool.

     
  • At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    um. a few months late. But seriously. TEXT FWDs?!?!?

    I just want you to know that this post has MADE my morning. I am again reminding that I am not alone in my perspective of the ridiculous nature of kitsch.

    xo. and happy christmas. I miss you something awful.

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger Amber said…

    Happy Christmas? It's almost June! We need a new post Choc. Milk Girl!

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home