I like chocolate milk very much

We'll eat you up we love you so!

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Amelie

Remember in the movie Amelie when the narrator is introducing the characters, how every character is defined by an idiosyncratic list of things they like or dislike? The narrator would tell you what the thing was and you would see a slightly humorous depiction of the character's reaction to that thing.

If I were in that movies, the things I like would have been:

--standing outside on a windy day
--snuggling into warm sheets from the dryer
--organizing a closet

My dislikes would be:

--being around people wearing strong perfume or cologne.
--any kind of unidentified rattle or noise in a moving vehicle (not from the vehicle, although that is alarming, but rather something in the car making noise).
--when people (coworkers) won't stop talking to me when I am clearly feeling non-conversational.


Amelie's mother disliked, among other things, the pillow-creases that you get on your face while you are sleeping (unless you're a no-good back sleeper (sorry, I'm just bitter because I can't sleep on my back, a fact which creates pain in my life)).

Point of the story:

Last night was the midnight premiere of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which meant I didn't really get to sleep until after three. I woke up swearing at 7:52 (I work at eight) with the mother of all pillow creases stretching vertically across my face.

That damn crease stayed on my face until 11 am.

Now is the part where I bring everything together and end with a pithy or clever comment, but between my red eyes and constant yawning, this is all I've got until after that pillow gets a second chance at my face.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger Eric Mortensen said…

    My mom always called that "wrinkly-itis" like it were some sort of disease. She also told me you get it from telling lies and wetting the bed, so it sounds like you got some 'splaining to do.

    We leave in like, 2 weeks. Were going to have a going away party for ourselves so I'll call you about that soon.

    <3

     
  • At 12:47 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    I've not read many Newbery winning books that I can think of offhand, other than The High King. My friend Sara, however, has read almost all of them. What other YA fiction have you read? I need to buy her stuff for her birthday and I need some ideas. One friend recommended the Keys to the Kingdom, but we both hated Sabriel.

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    anna:
    Hi this is Wes's wife Lydia. In 5th grade we had this contest to see how many Newberry's you could read. My older sister was a year ahead of me and she read all of them (this was in 1991 when there were less). She also told me never to read Story of Mankind because it was boring, but I read most of the others. I could tell you which ones I remember liking but then you might read all of them first leaving you to a bunch of boring crap at the end.

    In other news, I am thinking about starting a monthly online journal about children's literature and wondered if you might be interested in participating. If you are, send me an e-mail to lgarver@indiana.edu and I'll give you a rundown on the current plan.
    -Lydia

     

Post a Comment

<< Home