I like chocolate milk very much

We'll eat you up we love you so!

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Wednesdays: Now with a hint of mystery!


A while ago I received a mysterious text message. This is what it said:

"word from the boy w/a baby...f**k" (mom: remember, people use that word in real life)

First off, I don't know any guys who are having kids, so this is either 1). a joke, or 2). a desperate plea for camaraderie. I saw it was a 608 number, which is LaCrosse
(or Madison if you want to get technical). I only have one male friend from LaCrosse, so I immediately assumed it was from him, and fired off a message back that said, succinctly:

"WHAT?!"

After hearing nothing back for a while (which kills me--you know the phrase curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back? That should be my motto--I need to know!!!), I decided to send another message. That's when I started to realized that there are some peculiarities about this case.
1). It wasn't the cell phone number of the person who I assumed sent it. So that means if it was from him, he used someone else's cell phone--but why would you do that?
2). I don't have any idea who this* is. Could it be a joke from one of the random guys my sister and I befriended at Halloween? (I should tell that story here sometime). Did my sister finally change her number so it's not a Texas area code?

Now my mind is working furiously trying to figure this out. If it wasn't a 608 number, I would be sure it was my dear friend E-train who I hung out with last night and had a conversation about sending hilarious cryptic text messages. *Cue the creepy Twilight Zone music--coincidence? I think not.* This is literally driving me crazy: I'm antsy in my chair, I keep looking at my phone to see if a new message has appeared. It beeps when I get a message, but maybe I, like, yawned or something and created a vacuum in my head so I couldn't hear it.

Wow, this mystery has made approximately 2.5 hours of work time just fly by. That also means I have a lot of work sitting on my desk, and I am clearly not working right now. I should go do that.


*well, I didn't want to spoil the story, but the asterisk in this entry represents the exact moment when I became enlightened. I feel foolish. Imagine with me, if you will, an alternate usage of "word" in the original message, "word from the boy w/a baby...f**k." I assumed it was a greeting as in, "Word to your mother." However, there is a less slangy, more archaic usage which means "news" or "communication," as in, "we received word of your delay." Then it hit me. It's my BFF, Giovanni. She lives in Madison and we don't regularly text each other, so she's not on my list. She is telling me that she heard from her nemesis relationship, which is very bad news, and to which, "WHAT?!" is not an appropriate response. Wow. I rule.

Also, if you are my one male friend in LaCrosse (I believe the last text message I sent you said, "don't call me dude"), just keep telling yourself that I'm the funniest girl you know, and remember that I'm sorry I thought you knocked someone up.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home